No Interest Loan Scheme – NILS
No interest loans are available for up to $1,500 for essential goods and services such as fridges, washing machines, car registration and repairs and medical procedures.
Repayments are set at an affordable amount over a 12 month period.
The No Interest Loan Scheme, (NILS) is facilitated by trained staff at the Bundaberg & District Neighbourhood Centre and aims to assist people to apply for loans for a range of vital items and services. You can now apply for a loan via technology based methods including email and phone.
The loan scheme is generally for essential household items such as a fridge, washing machine, or bed. Under some circumstances, loans may also be provided for expenses related to urgently needed health care, education, car repairs, registration or home repairs (conditions apply).
Loans are available for the purchase of essential goods and services.
These may include
- household items like fridges, washing machines, stoves, dryers, freezers and furniture
- some medical and dental services
- education essentials such as computers and text books
- car repairs or registration, (proof of ownership is required)
- some other items as requested
- To be eligible for NILS you must have a Health Care Card or earn less than $45,000 a year (after tax) for individuals or $60,000 a year for couples or people with dependants. Loans cannot be used for cash, bond, rent arrears, debt consolidation, holidays or bills.
Here are some comments made about the No Interest Loan Scheme
“Thank you NILS. The loan means I am no longer on the rental roundabout”
“I have paid my first loan and am applying for a second. This is a great way to help me get what I need.”
“I have been without a TV for so long. I can now sit down to watch TV and relax”